Monday, February 16, 2009

International night

Broke my usual rule of avoiding La Tasca on international nights as I was desperate for a dance. I nearly slept through it: I decided to have a nap at 8, was woken up at half ten. Oversleeping meant that it took me a while to get warmed up, but at least I did better than another dancer who missed the night because she slept until half past midnight!

It was a bit more crowded than usual (in other words, it was very crowded). I was very impressed with one woman from the Wednesday class - she's a fairly recent beginner but we danced in a very constricted corner with no problems.

A good, if hot and sweaty, time was had by all, though some tactical dancing was in order - 'accidentally' bumping into or stepping on drunks who looked as if they were about to try it on with the woman I was dancing with, or even about to lurch into the big rueda. I normally think of protecting the space as the leader's job, but I was dancing with one woman and a guy (not a drunk, as far as I could tell) went and stood in our space. She said "Just turn me into him" - so I led her into a gentle collision, she said "Oh, sorry!" very convincingly, and he moved.

You could tell I was enjoying myself because I even joined in the collective reggaeton at the end and actually wanted it to carry on when the lights went up.

Suffered a bit for it yesterday though: seriously dehydrated.

No comments: