Thursday, July 01, 2010

Se prendre un râteau

Further to David's comment on the first Paris post, there's actually been a long thread on the SalsaFrance forum on unfriendly salseras in Paris (from which I learnt a useful French idiom, "se prendre un râteau" - to get turned down). The thread had quite a lot of harsh comments on the behaviour of some dancers in Paris (and the WAGG, which I enjoyed, came in for particular criticism).

I have to say that, while I did get turned down three or four times in Barrio Latino both times I've been there, I generally found dancers friendlier and had better interaction/eye contact than in Madrid. Personally I'd much rather be turned down than dance with an unwilling partner.

I also had a few refusals the first time I went to Brussels, though most people were OK (the second time I went to a bar where most of the dancers were Congolese, and very welcoming).

No comments: