Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Barocco

I didn't really feel like going out last night but I decided to check out Misael and Sabina's class at the new venue. It was pretty popular, and it wasn't too hot as it had been sometimes for Kate's classes in the same venue: this weather does have some advantages. Sabina was away so Misael was doing the class on his own, fighting a cold (and having had that cold for a couple of weeks I sympathised).

I joined in the advanced/rueda class. Misael wanted to start by introducing a complex arm-wrestling Cuban move, but unfortunately everybody except me voted to go straight for the rueda. A shame, as I'd really like to learn some elaborate Cuban turn patterns and 'beso complicado' looked like fun.

But it was a really useful class and I learnt (or re-learnt) several moves, including noventa, quedate con sacala and the rather indecent enchufla con mambo con vacuna. ('Vacuna' is the rude bit. It literally means vaccinate, but you can imagine what it means - it originates in the original Afro-Cuban dance guagauncó).

I had several nice dances after the class. It's quite a friendly and youthful crowd there. There aren't many experienced dancers there but there's a lot of ability and potential; and I found myself remembering several half-forgotten moves. I'm definitely going to try to get to this class as often as I can.

On the walk back to the car I encountered a fox at close quarters (just a couple of metres away) in front of the museum, which was a nice end to the evening.

No comments: