Friday, October 24, 2008

Back in action

Really frustrating to miss three nights salsa because of a cold last week. I dragged myself out on Monday but I wasn't really dancing well, though I had one cool dance with Becky - I think her dynamism was just what I needed. Misael was away so there was no funky rueda. But I really like what Charlotte is doing with the classes, teaching short introductions to different Latin dances rather than yet more salsa turn patterns. Last night was the end of their bachata course and I learnt some new stuff.

A blast to work and back on the bike set me up for Risa last night, though, and I had a really good time. I was talking to someone on Monday who told me she doesn't like the music Stevie plays at Risa, but I'm really glad to hear some varied and unexpected music: a lot of it is stuff I would choose to listen to even if I wasn't dancing to it. Standout track, I thought, was Adamy Coly by Les Quatre Étoiles, a Congolese band. (You can tell it's Congolese by the guitar - you can't keep pianos in tune in the jungle so Congolese musicians have developed a beautiful ringing guitar style to replace Cuban piano).

One good piece of news is that Andy's got a new Sunday night in the Purple Lounge on Bute Street, starting on November 2nd (details here). I used to really enjoy the Wharf so I'm looking forward to this (I live in Penarth so the Bay is really handy for me). But I won't make the opening night as it's my elder daughter's birthday.

Kate's got a charity salsa night on Hallowe'en which I'm going to get to if I can (and which is going to feature rueda). It's a shame she's not doing a regular Cuban class now - my younger daughter Lowri, who's at uni now, told me that going to other salsa classes at uni has made her realise what a good teacher Kate is.

No comments: