Monday, November 14, 2005

Getting somewhere

Definitely getting a lot of dancing in lately - and it's starting to pay off. Andy's Advanced workshop on Saturday was exceptionally useful. Much more useful than a class, this focused on subtle leading using body weight, and using a 'compression block' (I think that's what he called it). It sounds like a plumbing term but it's a really good technique for varying the lead, adding dynamism, and giving myself more time to complete my move while the woman turns.

I was lucky to be doing it with Sarah who was great despite not having got to bed til 5am! Not only is she a dynamic dancer, she's also good at telling me what I'm doing wrong, which is really useful in a dance partner. (Sue told me the other week that the reason a lot of men in London dance with each other is that men are more willing than women to tell their partner when the lead doesn't work - and if your partner won't tell you it's broke, it's difficult to fix it.)

Andy's hoping to run a six-week Advanced course on similar lines if he can find a free night, which would be great. He's also planning to run an Intermediate one.

That night was Liz's party in Newport: a good time was had by all. I didn't stay that late as I was knackered after the workshop.

The Wharf was very quiet, due largely to the party, I think. I nearly didn't go but it was well worth the trip over from Penarth to dance with Laura and Sarah. Sarah and I tried out the workshop stuff over several dances and it really works. I also found that it made it easier to play around with the rhythm (after being inspired by Lee the other week).

Don't think I'll get to the Toad this week, unfortunately: I only managed to go last week because the heavy Friday I was supposed to have in work got cancelled. So it's a choice between La Cachaçaria and La Tasca (I could go to both..).

I'm staying in Birmingham on Sunday night so I'm hoping to get to Michael and Maxine's class at G2 - it was very good last time I went.

No comments: