Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dips

There's a bit of a debate lately on Salsajive about dips: someone complaining that his partner was injured by someone dipping her and suggesting that promoters should ban them. I've met women who've been put out of action by dips so I'm not a big fan. But I think they're OK if used sparingly and carefully.

I've learnt dips from both Andy and Paul, and they've both stressed safety as a priority. I've also seen (not from a Cardiff teacher) elaborate and potentially dangerous dips being taught without any mention of safety.

Key safety points? Don't do a deep dip on a new partner. Make sure there's plenty of space. Try to keep your own back straight and to dip by extending your arm, so that both of you keep your own balance.

Some people say you should always ask before you dip a new partner, but that does take some of the fun out - a bit like those guys who tell the women what move they are going to do next. My technique is to do a gentle dip the first time, led in such a way that she's got the option of not going with it. From the way she responds I can tell whether she's an enthusiastic dipper or not.

I would agree with the general point that some guys you see doing a lot of dipping aren't actually good dancers (I don't have any individual in mind here), a bit like the characters who try to do salsa trio when they can't actually lead one woman adequately.

No comments: