Friday, July 08, 2005

Where were you?

Well, PS, if you were in the Toad last night you didn't introduce yourself. And "Anonymous", didn't you want me to point out the good dancers? (Or are you the same person?) Most of them were there, with the exception of Thano, who you already know, and Kevin. But Kevin's brother Hugh (not the Salsacity one) was there, and he has a similarly subtle and precise style.

I had a brilliant time - danced with all my top three, and even managed to lead that tricky move I've been trying to work out for weeks with two of them. I felt more on form than I've been for about a year, managing subtle leads with people I usually find myself wrestling with, and getting proper LA-style timing going (holding the 5 to build up the tension for the end of the measure). I was reacting fast as well, which came in handy when one dancer threw herself into a dip before I'd led it and I managed to catch her with one hand!

Mind you those flowing moves I picked up in the Wharf on Sunday are a pig to lead with anyone who wasn't in the class - I need to really work on the timing for them.

Learnt that Lesley J - a recent and welcome addition to the salsa scene - is very good at dancing compactly: we were hemmed in at one point and she was managing to do moves in about half as much space as I'd normally allow for them.

I could have stayed all night but by about half twelve I had to recognise that while I was still having fun, heat and tiredness was taking its toll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiya,

i was in the toad and im sorry i dodnt introduce myself but i was feeling quite ashamed of myself and when i say this u will know why!!! i danced with u a few times but unfortunately due to my alcohol intake i was diabolical so i apologise profusely!! but now u know who i am! glad u had a good night..i had a fantastic time but certainly wont drink and dance again!

Tom said...

Oh, right! By the window? Drunk or not, I enjoyed dancing with you anyway, and I've enjoyed dancing with you in the past - in fact I mentioned you in this blog back on May 27th (see if you can identify yourself!). I wondered if it might be you.

Tom said...

Sorry, reading that again it sounds as if I couldn't tell the difference! I was relieved when you told me you were drunk - I initially thought I was completely messing up the lead because you're usually very good and very easy to dance with.

Glad you've decided not to drink and dance - there are a few women around who I always try and grab early in the evening because they're much easier to dance with then...