Thursday, July 14, 2005

Fiesta Havana

Well, if that's what FH is like when the air conditioning is supposed to be working I wouldn't like to be there when it isn't!

Amazing number of people there, even once the beginners had gone downstairs. Helena and Nicolai's teaching was as good as expected: they really do teach as partners, unlike many salsa duos where the man does all the talking. The sequences assembled some lovely moves which worked really well together, the only problem being that they were a bit long.

I was a bit surprised by the standard in the intermediate class. There were some good women there but there were a fair few armwrestlers and a really bad backleader. It's hard remembering the next bit of a long sequence when it's been a battle to get the woman through the first bit - in fact I thought I'd lost it completely until I got a delightfully light follower which meant I got most of it. And then Sue appeared and suddenly it was easy.

The advanced class included most of the same people (though one or two men had wisely dropped out). A bit long to remember - eleven measures – but I did eventually get it.

Free dancing was a bit manic - FH is notorious as a place to get kicked and trodden on. I had a few good dances - and got asked to dance by people I didn't know, which is always nice - but the heat got to me and I went rapidly downhill. Quite a few Cardiff people there: Nathalie, Hugh, Malcolm, Tammi and former Cardiff person Shirley.

I'll definitely go again as I really liked the stuff Nicolai and Helena taught (they teach there on the second Wednesday of every month) but I hope it's cooler next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the info regarding the airconditioning!

I have since sent an E-mail to all explaining the fact that although I was assured the aircon had been sorted, it turned out that the job was far bigger than even the management at Havana had thought ...

In fact in the end it took four weeks to complete and what they were refering to with the information they'd given me was that the fans were once again running.

I can assure you that all is well with the air conditioning system now though!