Monday, August 04, 2008

Rueda y La Tasca

I was talking to a dancer on Thursday night who had been hoping to find some good Cuban salsa in Cardiff. She should have been at La Tasca on Saturday - there were plenty of Cuban-style dancers there.

I haven't seen a rueda there before, but I'd just asked Sara for a dance when I noticed Gorka starting one. Sara's a rueda fan and Jordy moved over to let us slot in. It was great -there's nothing better than a lively, funky wheel where everybody knows what they're doing, and Gorka calls a great rueda. Quite an all-star (and largely Spanish) group: in addition to Gorka, it included James Perez (who taught the first rueda workshop I ever went to), and Nicky who teaches around Swansea, as well as Núria and Sofia. Turns out I was even luckier than I thought to catch it because Gorka has moved back to Spain and this was the last day of a visit to Wales.

No comments: