Friday, July 25, 2008

Heat and rain

I had it all worked out - take a day off today to take my daughters to the beach, and stay late at Risa last night. Well, it was tipping down with rain when I woke up, and Risa wrapped up not long after twelve. Oh well.

Andy's now moved the advanced class upstairs, which means there's loads more space - I might start going again. It was very hot up there last night though. One advantage, for those of us who don't do the classes, is that the free dancing downstairs started reasonably promptly. It's great to have Stevie on the decks: he's playing some really interesting and varied music. A lot of Cuban earlier on, some nice Latin jazz later, and no Colombian boogaloo. (I know it's easy to dance to but I've heard those Sonora Carruseles songs so often). A shame there weren't more dancers to enjoy it.

I went to Koko Gorilaz again on Tuesday, which I enjoyed: quite a few dancers there who you don't see anywhere else. After the classes Misael and Sabina took the time to help me sort out 'culebra' which he hadn't quite finished teaching in the earlier class. Sabina also told me some interesting stuff about Cuba: apparently rueda is often done as a game there, with surplus guys waiting around the circle to take the place of dancers who get ejected if they get a move wrong. Might improve the standard here ;)

Last of the July advanced workshops on Sunday. They've been really useful and I'm looking forward to when they start again in the Autumn.

No comments: