Thursday, July 03, 2008

A warm summer night in the City of Light

When I was invited to a seminar in Paris I couldn’t turn down my third European capital in three months. One contributor on SalsaForums reckoned it has the best ‘Puerto Rican’ (CBL) dancing outside New York, and it’s where Kate learnt to dance Cuban style. I headed over a day early to catch Barrio Latino on Sunday afernoon, and then I heard about the open-air Saturday nights on Quai Saint-Bernard.

It was still daylight when I found the square near the Musée du Monde Arabe on the Left Bank. I identified a dancer who looked good and intercepted her as she left the floor. A good choice: she had loads of style and a great attitude which encouraged me to dance in a relaxed way (though the free Limoncello after my pizza may have helped).

The vibe was really positive and easy-going and the women I danced with engaged, with plenty of eye contact and humour. I took it easy as I didn’t want to wreck my knee before Barrio Latino the following day, but even though I wasn’t dancing much I didn’t want to leave. I left around half eleven (after the sound system broke down for the third time). All around, on the grass and on the bank of the river, Parisians were having picnics in the summer heat as I walked back towards the Metro.

No comments: