Monday, May 08, 2006

Last weekend I was mostly...

...staring at an empty dancefloor waiting for people to turn up...

Or at least, the woman who asked me to dance with her at the Hard Rock Cafe for their Cinco de Mayo celebration didn't make it - still recovering from injuries sustained at the Salsa Congress. Actually, I needed an early night so that wasn't too much of a problem. Apparently they had capoeira later on. Not sure what that has to do with Mexican independence. Different continent, different language - but I suppose it's south of the border so that counts somehow.

I got to La Tasca too early as well as I'd just been to see a film and it wasn't worth going home first. I also thought I might get to dance with Laura on an empty dancefloor, as she's the only really good dancer who regularly gets there early. She wasn't there this week and by the time the stars turned up it was seriously crowded. There's a mix of Cardiff salsa people, a crowd of young Spanish and Latin Americans who come every week (some dancing salsa and some not) and drinkers. The drinkers aren't a problem unless they start trying to dance in which case it does get a bit hazardous - fortunately that wasn't the case this week.

As I've said before, it's a real party atmosphere and you have to go with the flow rather than trying out all those flash moves. You certainly find out who can really dance compactly (Irene gets the prize this week). Andy doesn't play a lot of new stuff here: it's more crowd-pleasers for the Spanish and Latino contingent, which means that there's a lot of familiar stuff which is easy to dance to. Once again I left during the extended reggaeton: I'm too old to wiggle like that.

BTW Just had a look on the Salsamania site where there's now a photo gallery. Looks like Thano and Kate in a couple of those pictures. (Actually it's funny how often you see Cardiff people dancing together when you go to Fiesta Havana.)

No comments: