Friday, April 07, 2006

¿Que Pasa?

Things are really looking up for salsa in Cardiff. Bar Risa opens the week after next, with Que Pasa moving to Wednesdays (and getting an extension to 1am) so the only non-dance night in Cardiff will be Fridays.

I'd been avoiding Que Pasa since the refurbishment but Debbie told me the other day that the atmosphere was really good. So I ended up checking it out last night. The plan was to try the Spanish conversation group that meets in Chapter and then nip in for an hour's dancing after the classes ended. But after dropping off daughter and boyfriend in town at a quarter past eight the lure of the dancefloor was too much.

The interior is a lot smarter than it was before. Bar staff are friendly. The intermediate class gets the dancefloor in front of the bar. Yes, it is stupidly crowded, but the class was still useful.

Debbie was right about the atmosphere and if you choose your spot (I tend to dance in corners or between pillars because they can't kick you) you can have plenty of fun. Best thing was dancing with several people I hadn't seen for ages (and with a couple of my favourite dancers from the Wharf).

High point – apart from meeting a couple of nice new dancers – was a cracking long dance with someone who'd just emerged from hibernation. One of the kind of dances I used to have around midnight in the Toad: relax and jam, forget about the elaborate moves, give her space to play and show off, throw in some cheeky stuff, chuck in some spins, concentrate on communicating and playing with the rhythm - what dancing should be about. I went home with a smile on my face.

No comments: