Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Cuba (and Bar Cuba)

Bar Cuba is now a Latin-only night on Tuesday, with Andy DJing and playing what he usually plays on Saturdays. Which is encouraging. I should have gone last night and danced with Lisa instead of sitting in front of the telly.

I watched Buena Vista Social Club on More4 instead (well, I fell asleep during the last half hour, but I watched most of it.). A gentle film with some real characters - I particularly liked the bit where Ibrahim Ferrer was describing the offerings he made to what he called his 'Lazarus' - the Babalu orisha figure in his house. Wim Wenders makes Cuba look like a magical place, with some lovely use of steadicam. I'm not inclined to buy the album, though: what I would like to do is to track down some of the original versions they made in their youth. I'm glad I watched the film after reading Cuba and its music: from the first drums to the mambo, so I had a sense of the importance of the musicians featured and mentioned.

No comments: