Friday, September 30, 2005

Good dancing

Ah, that's better: tired, dazed and dehydrated. That's what Friday mornings are supposed to feel like (though missing the train to work after limping to the station wasn't in the plan). In other words, I had a good night in the Toad last night.

Some really good dancers there, including the Spanish woman who used to dance in Bath, and the welcome return of Harriet who's as brilliantly elegant and precise as ever. Definitely the best person to dance with in limited space: even if there isn't room to do interesting moves she'll make the basic stuff look special.

Had a rather lively dance to 'Cuba Queridos' with Vicky, and then a couple of gentle dances with the other Vicky (who speaks Spanish, so I got some tips on which Latin American novel to read next).

I also followed up the tip Paul G-S gave me on Sunday about my pivot turn: thanks Paul, it turned it from something that works with some people into a move where I'm in control and my partner feels relaxed.

And went I wasn't dancing there were dancers who were worth watching. Being a normal competitive male I tend not to be easily impressed by other male dancers, but I did enjoy watching the guy from Bristol with the two-tone shoes who was doing some lovely stuff dancing with Lucy. He's not just good when he dances with experts - he can also make less talented women look like stars.

Spare a thought for Christalla, who was taking the beginners' class - she was invaded by forty freshers and had to dance standing on the bar so that everyone could see her!

No comments: