Friday, June 24, 2005

It only takes one dance

Had to drag myself out to the Toad last night. I'd been sweltering in London all day and didn't get home until nearly 9pm, but I decided I had to go as I hadn't been for weeks.

I definitely wasn't at my best, though I had a couple of good dances earlier on. Maybe it was me but I wasn't too impressed with the music.

I managed one reasonable bachata; then I made a complete mess of the next – with one of the best dancers there – while the guy next to me did some very elegant stuff with someone who didn't think she could dance bachata : (

I'd almost decided to go home, but I decided to have one last dance with one of my favourite dancers. She doesn't dance like anybody else - in fact it took me ages to get used to her style - but her dancing is so dynamic, graceful and imaginative (I'm running out of superlatives here) that I left on a real high.

(A similar thing happened to me the last time I went to the Claverton Rooms: I'd changed out of my dancing shoes and decided to relax and have a drink, when I noticed that someone I'd sussed as a good dancer was available; I shot across the room to nab her before anyone else did, and had the most enjoyable and exhilarating dance of the night.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have to agree that the music wasn't up to scratch but it was still enjoyable none the less. I think the atmosphere is getting better and better in there. im intrigued to know who you think are some of the best dancers?? We all have our faves i think.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it such a fantastic feeling when you have that one amazing dance and it really does leave you on a complete high! There was a new guy there on Thurs and he is sensational..very elegant and stylish..he made me feel like amillion dollars dacning wih him and thats how it should be for both the guy and the girl. A few of us were talking about him and came to the conclusion that he is our Fred Astaire and Ansy is our Gene Kelly. They are both superb but in very different ways. Saying that I didn't have one bad dance so i was a very happy bunny when i left.

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

I think I know the guy you mean - he's the guy who was doing the elegant bachata while I was making a mess of it!

While it's slightly depressing to be outclassed it's nice to see someone new bringing the standard up: it's certainly needed.

Anonymous said...

i can understand what u mean at being outclassed and it is depressing but we really do need to bring the standard up so i think its a good thing..well thats if he comes back!
he's been dancing 5 years though and he learnt in London so its no surprise how good he is.! its just nice to see a different style too.

Tom said...

To the first 'anonymous', I'll have a think about who I think are the best dancers. Probably won't coincide with anyone else's list. To the second, thanks for making me feel a bit better (though he's only been dancing a year longer than me...)

Anonymous said...

i think when it comes to faves its a personal thing but it would still be interesting to have someone else's opinion. It all depends on who you click with doesn't it. I think the new guy looks so good because he just exhumes confidence, thats something other men dont have as they worry so much about moves..if we all just relaxed more it would be a lot better. and we all know that practice makes perfect!

Tom said...

Yeah, I certainly dance a lot better when I'm relaxed - as in the dance in Bath the other week. Sometimes dancing with somebody new can be a bit challenging, but as I was relaxed (thanks to the Guinness - though I never normally drink and dance) and she was a really good dancer with a great attitude it was brilliant.

BTW I think you might mean 'exudes confidence' - exhumes is what they do to dead bodies!

Anonymous said...

ha ha, i just re read what I wrote and saw my typo! it would certainly make for an interesting evening if he had been 'exhumed'!
It really does make a difference when both parties are relaxed doesn't. its just a far more enjoyable experience! being able to laugh ag oneself helps too..im always doing things wrong but i also always have a big smile on my face!