Thursday, June 09, 2005

Is that move any good?

I used to think that any move was good if it was learnt well enough, but I've since realised that just because a good teacher has taught it doesn't mean that a woman is going to like it. I remember taking ages learning a sequence only to be told by my commendably frank erstwhile dancing partner that it was 'crap', but that it was also crap when she danced it with the teacher. To take another example, having roadtested it (gently) a few times I'm convinced that nobody over five foot tall actually enjoys disappearing under my right armpit, being dragged sideways behind my back, and reappearing from under my left armpit.

So which moves am I going to keep? Any move that has had a positive comment from more than one woman - and any move where I've ever been complimented on my lead. Though that can come and go: I had one that always used to get a 'nice!' from my regular partner, and then I completely lost the plot with it for a couple of months (it works again now, much to my relief).

I definitely got into a bit of a rut relying on the same old moves (and too much spinning the woman) over the winter. I reckon to keep a competent partner entertained I need to include a few easy moves, one or two unusual or unexpected ones, some challenging ones so she can show how good she is, and one or two to make her laugh. I picked up a nice one from Angus last week which is going to be a definite for the 'unusual' category once I've refined the lead a bit.

No comments: