Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Las palabras

I've been learning Spanish for several years now but started listening closely to salsa lyrics when Clare asked me to translate her favourite song, 'Monton de Estrellas'. It was a really useful exercise, trying to get the exact words by repeated listening. And it's left me with a much better ear for the lyrics of other songs.

And they aren't all about dancing and having fun. It's always a bit strange to watch people dancing obliviously to a song whose lyrics include 'Alone, I'm alone... just waiting for death, when my luck will change'. And in the car this evening I was listening to a pleasant and melodious Cuban number about being in a hospital without anaesthetic: think I'll have to listen closely to that one and try and work out what the real story is.

No comments: