Thursday, June 10, 2004

Once and future salsa

Giving the Toad a miss tonight to save my energy for the Claverton Rooms in Bath on Saturday.

John was playing some dodgy stuff in O'Neills on Monday night. I thought the salsa version of Satisfaction was bad enough, but salsa Mozart? What was he thinking? On the positive side, it's great to have Charlotte* back on the dancefloor and refreshed after her little break from salsa. We haven't quite got back into look-almost-no-hands salsa telepathy mode yet, but maybe we'll get there on Saturday.

Just noticed in a couple of places that Sierra Maestra are now down for the World Music prom on 19 July instead of Orchestra Baobab. They should be great: I saw them at Womad last year and had my one dance of the weekend by finding the one available salsa dancer in a sea of drunk and stoned muggles. Dancing on uneven mud while someone pushes a pushchair across the dancing line isn't the easiest, but I still felt a lot better for it.

Next Saturday is Caramelo Son, a large all-girl salsa band in the Toucan club. I like the Toucan - before La Tasca started it was the only civilised place to go in Cardiff on a Saturday night. I'll probably call in La Tasca on the way as bands usually start very late in the Toucan.


*not to be confused with Charlie who demonstrates with John, who I've never danced with

No comments: