Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Callaghans

Managed to persuade a couple of friends to come to Callaghans last night. Started a bit late (they were waiting for punters to turn up) and the warmup was the most shambolic I've ever seen until Maria took over and injected a bit of style into the proceedings.

The 'advanced' class was interesting with a nice turn pattern which I hope I can remember. Slightly strange because it's largely taught in translation: Jordy, an excellent dancer himself (and a nice guy) tells the students what to do, but Maria - who speaks very little English but is clearly an experienced dance teacher - picks up key points of technique which he then translates. I think perhaps they could do with including a bit more practice and repetition in the class: I've forgotten all the setenta variations I did there a couple of weeks ago. My dile que no is definitely getting better, though.

It's also a bit too crowded to do the Cuban moves properly, particularly later on when people try to negotiate their way through the class carrying pints of Guinness. Did Yogur, which every partner I practised it with seemed to think was hilarious (don't know what they'd think if they knew what Yogur means in Spanish slang) and learnt a cool lift, though now I need to work out who I dare try it with.

The party seemed to be just getting started when I left. Made me wish I was young and irresponsible again, but 11.30 is quite late enough for me on a Tuesday. It goes on until three. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere and there are lots of people you don't see anywhere else, including some good merengue dancers (who are rare as hen's teeth on most salsa nights). Next time I've got a quiet Wednesday I'll try staying til late.

They played 'Monton de Estrellas' twice (bet you wish you'd been there now, Clare!)