Monday, June 14, 2004

Clave(rton Rooms) and the Salsa Taliban

Ugh, tired, bed at 3.15 am Sun after a night in Bath. Disappointing turnout - I gather Caramelo Son were on at Fiddlers which may have had something to do with it. A couple of nice dances but I wasn't really on form. Had to drop out of Paul's class as my RSI was giving me gip.

Worth going to watch a tall black dancer whose technique Charlotte described as feeling 'like dancing in slow motion'. No flashy or spectacular moves but a lot of precision to his footwork and timing. Made me want to rethink the way I dance: perhaps I should ease off on the spins and new moves, and video/get feedback from partners on my current moves to see where I could make them more subtle and intricate.

Which brings me on to Salsa Taliban: quite an amusing attack on the salsa mafia from a Latino in Sheffield: "For those who are not in the scene, or even aware of the concept, the 'salsa taliban' is a group of unique people dotted across the united kingdom (UK) who ONLY want 100% Salsa, and despise other types of latin rhythm. You usually see this people wearing black clothing with salsa oozing from either a T-shirt, special dance shoes, etc." I'm afraid I'm guilty on the black clothing front (though I certainly wasn't wearing black on Saturday) and the special dance shoes (I do like my Blochs). But I do agree with a lot of what he says.



No comments: