Thursday, June 26, 2008

Koko Gorilaz

I've been meaning to go to this for weeks but it's hard staying out late midweek. I've been wondering who Sabina was and realised when I got there that I'd had a very enjoyable dance with her in La Tasca a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't really know what to expect (the online videos show what looks like a lot of students appearing to have a good time) but the classes were serious. It turned out to be Ulisse's last night, so he just took the beginners' class before handing over to Misael. I found the improvers, and particularly the intermediate/advanced, to be really useful: funky, cool and authentically Cuban moves. There was a slight language barrier but there was plenty of emphasis on technique and he didn't try to teach too much, concentrating instead on repeating and embedding a small number of moves and looking at how to lead them: in the improvers' class it was setenta and sombrero ochenta y ocho, and the intermediate/advanced class started with sombrero ochenta y ocho and moved on to ventilador, which starts off with a very unusual lead. Patricia enjoyed it too, and reckoned it was the first time she'd been challenged in a class (apart from Andy's Sunday workshops) for a long time.

The only problem I have with going regularly is that it goes on so late! It should be OK over the summer holidays but I can't go regularly when I have to get up early for work the next day. Shame, because I learnt a lot.

No comments: