Monday, February 18, 2008

Inspired...

...is how I'm feeling about dancing at the moment. At the beginning of the year I thought of packing in the blog because, although I was still enjoying dancing, I seemed to be doing a lot of the same old stuff. Finding a talented and enthusiastic dance partner has made a huge difference and got me thinking that I really could raise my game if I put my mind to it.

We did Andy's taster Intermediate and Advanced workshops yesterday. They were exactly how salsa ought to be taught: concentrating on getting the basics right as the foundation for everything else, rather than trying to learn yet another new sequence with a succession of partners of varying ability.

But I don't think I was the only person to get a bit of a shock from looking in the mirrors at the beginning of the Intermediate class: the way I thought I was dancing, and the reality staring back at me, were rather more different than they should have been after six years of salsa.

I wasn't going to do the Advanced workshop as I was tired and hungover, but I felt inspired after the Intermediate workshop. I'm glad I stayed. It was really interesting with lots of emphasis on control and clear leading. Patricia and I not only learnt a lovely new move but worked out how to make it even niftier - let's see if it works on Thursday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't stop writing the blog. Now that I have moved from Cardiff I often read it to keep up to date with the Walsh salsa scene.