Friday, May 28, 2004

Where did they all go?

I've been tempted to stop going to the Toad (and go to Fiesta Havana on a Friday instead) but last night I unexpectedly had a great time. Some people really don't like it because it's so crowded and there are some many people crashing around; it certainly doesn't suit people who like dancing in circles ; )

Got there around half nine and the classes were packed. Watched a bit of Andy's class (I rate his teaching but his moves need a bit of space to do well, and there's no space to practise them properly in the Toad). I could hear Zoe teaching la rueda to her beginners on the far side (she has a loud voice for such a small person) and they looked like they were having fun.

Felt on form for the first time since I got back from Belfast, so got straight into dancing as soon as the classes ended (the end time is drifting back to 10.15, unfortunately). The usual problems with people taking up far too much space for the amount of space that's available. Danced with a couple of familiar faces who hadn't been around for a while which was nice. Then it started thinning out, surprisingly early, so for a while it was great.

A couple of exhilarating dances with Kate (who interprets for Maria's class on a Tuesday night). I think maybe she's the most fun to dance with in Cardiff: advanced - a very fast, responsive dancer who seems to be able to follow pretty much anything - but also always seems to be enjoying herself and doesn't take herself too seriously. Shouldn't really have posted this as I'll probably have to join a queue to dance with her now, of course (as it is I just managed to sneak in front of Peter when I saw him heading in her direction).

But by half eleven it was almost empty, and several people I'd been planning to dance with had gone (maybe they'd seen me coming...) Perhaps people don't realise how much more pleasant it is to dance there later, and also perhaps women don't realise that they are in short supply later on. Maybe people don't realise how much nicer the atmosphere now that Katie (la reina de la rueda) has taken over running it. (No drunk lambada demos, for a start.) Or maybe you're all more sensible than me and worry about getting to work in the morning.

Must try to get to La Tasca this weekend (the Claverton Rooms in Bath, great though it is, is just too far: I can cope with getting to bed at 2, but 3am is too much).

No comments: