Monday, September 11, 2006

Burleigh Academy

I went to Andy's new night in Newport - the replacement for the Wharf - last night. Only 30 minutes from Penarth, probably 15-20 from Cardiff.

I joined in halfway through the improvers' class as they were short of men. Actually there were some experienced dancers in the improvers' class. They's obviously sussed that even in an improvers' class you can learn something new when Andy's teaching.

The numbers were about right. Unfortunately I was absolutely exhausted, due to organising the big annual event in work which ended the day before.

Good moves in the intermediate class as well, starting with 'ocho' –not the same as the rueda one – and carrying on into more Cuban-type armtwisting. Or rather, how to do those kind of moves without armtwisting. Nice to learn something different.

One thing about the venue didn't impress me. At the bar I asked for a soft drink and a pint of water and was handed a bottle of water. When I requested tap water I was told "we don't do that any more". At £1 a bottle, if I'd drunk as much as I should have I'd have ended up paying more for water than for the teaching.

I know salsa nights depend on bar sales, which is why I always buy a soft drink. But refusing to provide tap water at all is unacceptable.

No comments: