Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lecturers

Sorry to go on about this again but I'm really getting fed up with this: guys who ask women to dance and then lecture them on what they're doing wrong. It's happened several times to a friend of mine. She'd be the first to admit that her dancing has its idiosyncrasies, but she's talented and fun to dance with. So far she's been lectured by one of the messiest and most unstylish dancers around, and by another guy who omitted to notice (while he was giving her the benefit of his expertise) that he was dancing the entire dance on the 5. (Guys who can actually dance - like Shahid - just dance with her and let the lead do the talking). Fortunately she answers back - maybe if more women did so these guys would learn some manners.

Case number two: the other week in JJs I had a great dance with a woman who's always been good but has dramatically improved lately, with brilliantly controlled spinning (in fact I need to polish up my dancing so I can keep up with her). A few days later I got a text from her asking if I was in town as she needed a dance to chill out: she'd had a thoroughly unpleasant dance which had ruined her evening, with an 'expert' who had thrown moves at her, criticised her dancing, and then told her to relax!

On a more positive note, great to see Sara R back on the scene: she may think she's rusty but she's one of the most exciting people around to dance with - another dancer who makes me raise my game when I dance with her.

No comments: