Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Private lesson

Sarah and I had a private lesson with Andy (Witt) last night. I was overdue for one: I could tell I was picking up some bad habits but I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing wrong.

He's particularly good at watching you dancing and then showing you exactly what you need to do to improve things (and he also explains why). In his smaller group classes you get a taste of that, but in a private lesson you get so much depth.

It's extraordinary how moves I thought I knew suddenly felt more controlled, relaxed and enjoyable with a few minor changes. Most of the lesson was focused on improvements to basic technique, but we also learnt an unusual and surprising move which I'm itching to try out on Thursday (you have been warned...)

If you're thinking that private lessons are extravagant, nothing beats them for getting tuition that really focuses on what you as an individual (or as a couple) need to learn. From that point of view they're a lot more cost-effective than group lessons: I'm going to be spending the next few weeks trying to get what I learnt last night embedded in my dancing.

(For any Bristolians reading this, Andy's teaching at Fiesta Havana this week.)

No comments: