Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Back

I got home from holiday on Saturday night after rushing across Ireland to get the ferry (made it with 15 minutes to spare). I didn't get to dance when I was over there. It was tempting, but Westport - 70 miles from were we were staying - was too far away even for me. (It was great being able to go out for a drink everywhere without a fug of smoke, though. I find myself in the unfamiliar position of agreeing with Hugh on SalsaCardiff - only on this topic, though.)

Half an hour's rest and a quick shower and it was out to La Tasca. The dancefloor was surprisingly empty earlier on (due to Party in the Park). The first dance was a bit disconcerting as all the non-dancers there seemed to be standing round watching us - I think they thought we were the floor show! I'm not as rusty as I expected after a fortnight off, which was a relief. I had a few nice dances, but I called it a day once the reggaeton took over (I'm too old and too English - at least when I'm sober - though everyone under thirty seemed to be really enjoying it).

A few bits of news. Stevie from Salsamania is running a monthly 'quality event' at the Holiday Inn, Bristol, with some major DJs and performers. I heard on Saturday that the first one was good but the venue was a bit clinical - Jordy reckoned it was like dancing on a cruise liner. (Mind you, he also finds the Claverton Rooms clinical - obviously ambience is a priority for the Spanish crowd.) I also heard that Andy's new Sunday night in Newport got off to a good start.

Natalie's leaving Cardiff, unfortunately, with a leaving get-together at Bar Cuba on the 15th (not the 22nd as originally posted).

Finally, there's a debate about the quality of teaching in Bristol on the Salsajive site that might be of interest to anyone who goes over there regularly, though you need to ignore the childish abuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathalies leaving night in Bar Cuba has now been brought forward to Tues 15th August.

Tom said...

Thanks, I've corrected the post.