Friday, June 15, 2007

Dirty dancing

Risa was packed last night. I haven't been to a salsa lesson for months, but I thoroughly enjoyed Andy's class even though it was very hot and crowded: I think an hour's worth of teaching is enough for me to absorb, and the sequence ended with a really neat move (which I must practise before I forget it).

I do quite enjoy bachata but I didn't get much out of Tony and Daniella's workshop, partly because it was so crowded. There's also something a bit uncomfortable about practising 'sensual' moves with women who I know aren't normally flirtatious dancers. I gave up when they got on to reggaeton. Maybe I just wasn't on form - most other people seemed to be having a good time.

The rueda went well this week (apart from me forgetting how to do setenta complicada). Let's hope Kate finds a venue soon for a regular class.

By half eleven I was ready to move on, and Lisa and Shahid's night made a good contrast to Risa. It's nice to have the option of somewhere calmer to finish off the evening. Two nice dances with Lisa, one with a woman I didn't know, and by the time I danced with Rachel I was feeling more like a dancer than I had all night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom like many people I know in salsa I visit your blog quite regularly. but I have noticed comments are few and far between which is a shame and kind of detracts from the blog idea. so I thought I would add one. you often make interesting analytical points about salsa. for example that sports people tend to adapt to dancing more easily. good point. Kate of course is a great example of a sports person who became a brilliant dancer (andy and lucy also spring to mind).

The la rueda that week certainly went well and I particularly liked the fact that the groups were quite large and included some people who were not la rueda regulars. even so they coped well with a little help from the others and Kates excellent prompting / calling technique. Lets hope for a regular class again soon. Keith.