Thursday, June 30, 2005

Best dancers

'Anonymous' - see comments for 'It only takes one dance' below - has asked me who I think the best dancers are. I'm a bit reluctant but here goes. Many people might make a different selection, but my current top three (in no particular order) would be: Gail, Lucy, Sue K.

But there are plenty of other women who I also rate highly and enjoy dancing with. The number of good women dancers has increased recently, which is a relief after several of my faves left Cardiff or acquired non-dancing boyfriends.

There's definitely a shortage of good male dancers (though there are quite a few who think they're good). Apart from Andy and Fred Astaire (see comments again - somebody's going to have to find out his name) I rate Thano, Kevin and Jordy. Thano looks really exciting (my former regular partner described dancing with him as like a roller-coaster ride); Kevin is very smooth and precise; Jordy isn't ostentatious but women rave about how good he is to dance with.

But I'm sure there are other good male dancers who I haven't noticed because what's good about their dancing is obvious to their partners but not to spectators.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats all very interesting but i have no idea who these people are..sure i would recognise them but im not too hot on people's names.perhaps u would be good enough to point out both the men and the women? I know who Lucy and Thano are but not sure about the others. It would be great to watch them and try and pick up some tips.

Anonymous said...

oh forgot to say, 'Fred Astaire' is called Gary and he is from London and been dancing for 5 years.

Tom said...

Hi 'Anonymous', I'd be delighted to point them out if you introduce yourself, though Kevin's not around at the moment (he's away performing with the circus).

Not sure if I'm going to make it to the Toad tonight - I'm stuck in Cork waiting for a delayed flight back to Cardiff, and I've got to be up early tomorrow. I'm hoping to get to La Tasca on Saturday or the Wharf on Sunday. (Frustratingly, Thursday is the big salsa night in Cork - I had a great time last time I danced here two years ago.)

Anonymous said...

how annoying..dont you hate being delayed at airports! well at least if the flight gets cancelled you'll have a great night!
i wont make it to the toad or la tasca or the wharf this week as im going away for the weekend and also have to be up early but i will be at the toad next week so will introduce myself then.

Tom said...

Look forward to it.