Monday, December 06, 2004

Pontins

First visit to Brean Sands after three years' dancing. I got there early evening on Friday after battling through the traffic past Newport. I wasn't going to bother with the class that evening but I was glad I did: Angus' intermediate session was everything a salsa class should be (apart from the surprising surplus of men). The sequence wasn't too long, it wasn't all new moves but contained variations on common moves, the level was about right (for me anyway, though some people weren't finding it easy) and the teaching was extremely clear and focused on how to lead the moves gently and accurately.

Later on there was a useful warmup from Kerry. Useful in that it persuaded me not to go to any of her classes...

I didn't get far with the Mario/Maria competition: when I turned round I thought I'd struck lucky, but the first thing my tall and glamorous partner asked was "Do you dance Cuban-style?" Though for a Cuban dancer she was pretty good at following my stuff.

The free dancing on the Friday was great. Basically, with more women than men any halfway presentable male dancer had it made. It got very crowded and dancefloor discipline was a bit lacking, but I don't know when I've ever danced so continuously with so many happy women. Particularly gratifying was one whose response to my request to dance was 'all right, then' but who ended up smiling broadly. Nice when it all goes right. I only made it to half one rather than the 5am some people managed.

I was a bit surprised by the variable standard of the teaching on Saturday. Maybe I chose badly, but I only ended up staying through one full class. This was Heber's excellent bachata class, an object lesson in how to teach complete beginners a new dance step. In a very crowded class he concentrated on teaching the basic step with variations and added style. Lots of wacky charisma, but lots of very useful teaching as well. The only odd thing was that we didn't get to change partners at all. Great for me as I had been grabbed by an ideal partner - good dancer, happy with close holds, patient and with a sense of humour. It was really nice to learn a dance which seemed to be based on relatively simple steps, feeling and fun rather than choreography. Unfortunately Wilson and Yessica's improvers bachata class later on suffered from a severe case of routinitis - little about feeling, all about trying to remember the sequence.

I spent quite a lot of the afternoon free dancing in the Queen Vic. Great atmosphere and I danced with everyone from beginners to advanced dancers. There was some spectacular and inspiring dancing to watch as well.

Had a quick rest to get ready for the big night and then the migraine hit. Seriously pissed off. I still went on the Saturday night but my dancing was crap. Highlight of the night? Berg and Solanche's lambada display. Solanche dances while appearing to be unconscious: she can spin endlessly with eyes shut and head slumped to one side. It's amazing to watch.

Migraines mess up my dancing for days, so I headed off home in the morning. Would I go again? You bet. I think I'll spend even more time in the Queen Vic, though.

Thanks to Kate for organising the Cardiff expedition, and thanks to the occupants of the chalet next door for the entertainment when I called in for a drink. If any of you ever get tired of dancing you have a great future in comedy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New to the Salsa scene, 6 lessons in but addicted already! Would very much like to go to Pontins Salsa weekend but convinced will make an a*** of myself! Good to hear it was suitable 4 all abilities. Any big tips? (anything at all - from what to bring, to what NOT to wear!) Would also like to hear from any1 who may go 2 next 1 at Pontins, Brean :)

Anonymous said...

New to the Salsa scene, 6 lessons in but addicted already! Would very much like to go to Pontins Salsa weekend but convinced will make an a*** of myself! Good to hear it was suitable 4 all abilities. Any big tips? (anything at all - from what to bring, to what NOT to wear!) Would also like to hear from any1 who may go 2 next 1 at Pontins, Brean :)